Gatch F thoughts...

The place to discuss Gatchaman and it's related incarnations.
23239j

Gatch F thoughts...

Post by 23239j » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:29 am

I’m starting to make my way through the Sentai Gatch F DVDs, and thought I’d post my general impressions here. I’ve only gotten through the first six eps so far, but here are my impressions:

-Egobossler is a good villain! He’s competent and opportunistic. I find that I’m really liking the stuff that goes into his backstory (like that he basically just started calling himself “count”) and these episodes are making him out to be a credible threat! I get the impression that he is thinking *strategically* while Kate’s and Gel Sadra seemed to just want the victory of the week (full disclosure, I haven’t watched those series in a while). Egobossler seems like a credible threat on his own, who is bolstered by his alliance with Sosai Z.
-soldiers: I sort of like the mix of Egobossler’s soldiers with our standard goons. E’s minions seem really menacing, but they door in with the galactor goons. I find myself wishing to know more about how these two interact; wouldn’t you love to see a scene of the two groups in the mess hall, clique-ishly sitting away from one another but each whispering about the other? Or an Odd Couple like sitcom of the two together?
-I find myself zoning out at the “mechanic of the week” section at the end of each episode. Same with the new weapons and procedures.
-I feel like the “Ken is the testosterone fueled rebel” thing is a bit much...and somehow I still like Joe the best, even when he’s now the voice of reason. Im disappointed that so far it seems to be “the Ken show”, but I remind myself that Gatch I really wasn’t great until 50 or so eps in.
-Kempler: so far, he’s been a decent sycophantic servant, but I hope we get more character development soon.
-Mechandor: has he been in this? I honestly don’t remember, but I’m hoping to see him and contrast him to Egobossler’s other lieutenant. It seems like there could be some good ground there.
-Mechs: Am I a stick in the mud? I wasn’t crazy about Gatch II’s new god chicken ship, but the new one seems boring and suited to a bad voltron episode. Six episodes in and I can already sense that most battles will end with the team uniting and then Ken riding bareback with his Gatchadencer to weirdly cut through the bad guy. Again, I hope Jinpei, Jun, and Ryu get some development.

Overall though, Gatch F is probably better than I’d expected. If you haven’t bought the Sentai subbed DVD, you should—I think you’ll enjoy it.

23239j

Re: Gatch F thoughts...

Post by 23239j » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:21 am

OK, on to disc two..

This had eps 6-11, I think.

I’m still surprised at how much I’m liking Gatch F so far, mostly because Egobossler is a really good villain—just different enough from Katse and Gel Sadra; he’s confident, chose to ally himself with Sosai Z, and seems very Hitler or Hirohito-Esque.

I also like the world building in these eps. We sort of see a bit of Sosai Z’s motivations, a lot of Egobossler’s competent scheming, and even the good guys ask “why don’t we just go for the top and decapitate Galactor?

Without reviewing the eps, my highlights are the Galactor assassin (dude was a bad-A!) and the UN explosive experts—those guys are psycho, and I was screaming at the TV “dude, you can put the civilians on the last car and •then• blow up the train!!!! The absurdity of denting Gatch in, letting them know know UN explosives experts would be there but (apparently) not coordinating one iota between the two really made me laugh in the good, gatchaman way we probably all have.

The bad? Ken riding bareback to kill the bad mechanics (although, that didn’t happen in every episode), and also I want a bit more screen time for G2-G5.

About a quarter of the way through the series though, I’d say it’s a lot more engaging than I thought!

ElectricWhite
ISO Mechanic

Post by ElectricWhite » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:08 pm

That's just about as far as I've gotten in watching Gatch F -- I've haven't been able to binge watch any, though. (Before I got hold of the DVDs, I saw the ep. that I used for my rewrite "Keepin' It Rio" subbed in Korean, and I got hold of an English transcript that had been translated from an Italian translation of another Korean translation of the Japanese script...yeah, I still get headaches from that!)

I agree with your observations...and I loathe the GatchaSpartan! I love the original GodPhoenix (even though it's a flying brick, it's what I saw when I was a kid), and I can tolerate the Amazing Technicolor Dreamchicken, but the GatchaSpartan -- grrrrrr! Watching the individual segments fly through the air looks about as realistic as a bunch of 5-year-olds running around with toy cars in their hands. Originally I thought the GatchaSpartan was a bad rip-off of Voltron, but then I learned Gatch F came first.

Okay, I better get off the GatchaSpartan rant! I look forward to your next post, 23239j, and I hope I'll be able to get some more viewing done by then!
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. -- Mae West

23239j

Post by 23239j » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:56 am

Eps 12-16 on Disc Three. Egobossler's invasion of "Agrica" is really interesting! I like that it's so different from Katse and Gel Sadra, and it really has a sort of bad-guy D-day feel to it will the tanks, ships, and planes. Even Sosai Z can sort of give Egobossler some praise once in a while!

There's a "double agent" episode in this bunch, and it's part of the craziness of all of Gatch that me love and hate it at the same time. In the "next-time" segment they show the guy and say he's a double agent, and then in the episode it's pretty transparent. It sort of drives me batty that they either didn't know their audience or just cast such a wide net that they wanted to make it easy for the kiddies to understand (but there's so much I love as an adult). To top it off, the guy actually has some characterization to him, and does add to the story!

These eps show Egobossler getting some good victories, which makes it pretty rewarding when Gatch strikes back with a really solid plan. It's been a good struggle between the two so far, and it's nice to Gatch slug back a bit.

The show has done a pretty good job of making Egobossler Hitler-esque, without hitting it too hard on the nose. The penultimate episode on this disk shows us a sort of "Hitler youth" character, which is really interesting.

The final episode (I think--I watched this a few weeks ago!) deals with a decent "assassinate world leaders" plot, and we also take some time to show how happy that Europe is to have Satanhofen liberated. Keeping the name Satanhofen reminds of that Simpson's bit where Lisa somehow gets to "Monster Island" and is freaking out when somebody calmly tells her it's just a name. As a hideous monster emerges and starts chasing them, the guys finishes by saying "...yeah, it's actually a peninsula!"

Not much detail and a short review, but the show's still holding up!