Some Board Options I Am Considering

msannomalley
Site Admin

Some Board Options I Am Considering

Post by msannomalley » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:25 pm

There are some board options I'm thinking about adding.
  • Chat Room: I know that the topic of a chat room came up with the old board. phpBB does have two chat modules I can add. I'm not sure which one is better than the other. If people are interested in having a chat room,
    I would consider adding it.
  • Passwording the Rubber Room: I have the option to require a password on any forum I wish to do this on. If I were to do this, I would do it for the Rubber Room or any other forum where people would post mature content. A person would have to be a registered user to have the password.
  • Tags: A person could add tags to a post. The purpose of this would be both to sort and filter posts and to help people if they're searching for a specific topic, a character, etc.
I'm interested in your feedback because I don't want to install something that's going to be a pain to use.
Witty Saying Goes Here

ElectricWhite
ISO Mechanic

Re: Some Board Options I Am Considering

Post by ElectricWhite » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:25 pm

I like all three options. Even though I rarely chat, I know of several members who'd practically live in a chat room. I also think putting a password on the Rubber Room, since I know how younger kids can be drawn to "mature" material. (Although my Evil Genius Great Nephew #1 -- whom I raised -- is now 24, and my Evil Genius Great Nephew #2 is now 17...*sigh* ) And I think having tags would be an excellent idea, especially when this site accumulates a lot of posts. (Gads, how many times I've spent hours searching for a fic I'd lost track of!)
The only thing Flat Earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

KT1972
ISO Mechanic

Post by KT1972 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:05 pm

I would certainly be all for a password for the Rubber Room, as I am reluctant to post my more mature fics anywhere other than GFF. It would be great to have another option as the archives were giving me some gyp the last time I tried to post something on there.

Chatroom? Yeah, I'll probably use one, although it often means me staying up late at night.

Tagging in posts? It's not something I have considered before, but I think it has its uses.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.." - Stephen William Hawking CH CBE FRS FRSA (1942 - 2018 )

GrumpyGhostOwl
ISO Janitor
Location: An owlery in a mysterious hidden valley in the far Antipodes.

Post by GrumpyGhostOwl » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:12 pm

A password for the Rubber Room is probably a good idea, and tagging could be very useful. Would the tags be selected from a drop-down list or just typed in ad-hoc with a hashtag, as per social media?

A chat room could be fun as long as it gets used. There's an IRC-based chat up already over at Rizon, but I suspect people are a bit put off because it's IRC, which is like, "Aaaaagh! Old school geekery! Aaaaagh!" A purely web-based chat would probably be less challenging and would appeal to more people.
Never trust an atom: they make up everything.

msannomalley
Site Admin

Post by msannomalley » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:13 am

GrumpyGhostOwl wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:12 pm
A password for the Rubber Room is probably a good idea, and tagging could be very useful. Would the tags be selected from a drop-down list or just typed in ad-hoc with a hashtag, as per social media?
People can type in the tags, and the board software will "suggest" from commonly used ones. I can prune and merge tags if they get too unwieldy.
Witty Saying Goes Here

msannomalley
Site Admin

Post by msannomalley » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:24 am

I'm going to try something in regards to the Rubber Room. I need someone who sees this to let me know if they can see the actual forum listed on the main page. If this works, then I'll start adding all of you to a user group that I created and only I manage that will be able to see this board.

This way, only the people in this user group can see and access the board. If someone joins, then they have to be manually added to this group by me. The other benefit to this is that no one has to worry that the forum password is given to someone who shouldn't have it.
Witty Saying Goes Here

KT1972
ISO Mechanic

Post by KT1972 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:38 am

Just been back to the board index, and I couldn't see the Rubber Room listed there.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.." - Stephen William Hawking CH CBE FRS FRSA (1942 - 2018 )

GrumpyGhostOwl
ISO Janitor
Location: An owlery in a mysterious hidden valley in the far Antipodes.

Post by GrumpyGhostOwl » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:57 am

Same here. All the usual topics except for the Rubber Room. Nice one.
Never trust an atom: they make up everything.

ElectricWhite
ISO Mechanic

Post by ElectricWhite » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:00 pm

I could've sworn I saw the Rubber Room yesterday...but I'm not finding it now.
The only thing Flat Earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

msannomalley
Site Admin

Post by msannomalley » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:44 pm

Okay. Then I know I've got the permission set. I can add you to the user group that has access to the Rubber Room.
Witty Saying Goes Here